DCMAND to improving DC’s health and advancing the profession through advocacy. Our priorities align with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ policy priorities identified in their 2012-2014 Strategic Plan which include:
Consumer and Community Issues
- Prevention and treatment of chronic disease, including health care equity
- Meeting nutrition needs through the life cycle: Maternal and child nutrition to healthy aging
- Quality food and nutrition through education, production, access and delivery
- Nutrition monitoring and research
- Licensure: Protection of the Public
- Workforce demand: Assuring the Public has access to nutrition services delivered by qualified practitioners
- Outcome driven nutrition services in changing health systems
We urge DCMAND members to use resources provided by the Academy to ensure that our elected officials in Washington, DC know our views as both voters and nutritional and food professionals.
With the Grassroots Manager, we can:
- Write your legislator a letter
- Send your legislator a fax
- Send your legislator a direct e-mail
- Call an elected official directly
- Educate others by spreading the word about important issues
Public Policy Workshop
Members of DCMAND can connect with Academy colleagues annually in the spring at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Public Policy Workshop (PPW). PPW provides a unique opportunity for members to learn to be the voice of nutrition that Congress trusts at this annual food and nutrition advocacy summit. Whether you are new to policy and advocacy or a seasoned professional, there is something for everyone at PPW.
Public Policy Workshop Information
Attendees connected with nearly 500 of your nutrition and dietetics colleagues at the Academy’s Public Policy Workshop. This annual food and nutrition advocacy summit, is where you can learn how to become the voice of nutrition that Congress trusts. Whether you are new to policy and advocacy or a seasoned professional, there is something for everyone at PPW.
PPW focuses on critical policies that impact the health of the nation and the dietetics profession. Attendees received top notch leadership and communications training that will benefit them during the conference and beyond. At the end of PPW, participants put their knowledge into action when they visited Capitol Hill and meet with members of Congress.